Bag of NASA moon dust sells for $1.8M at auction
A bag of moon dust from NASA’s Apollo 11 mission – which a woman bought for $995 in 2015 -- sold for $1.8 million at a Sotheby’s auction this week following an intense court battle.
The bag, filled with moon dust by astronaut Neil Armstrong during the first manned mission to the moon in July 1969, had previously been misidentified and mistakenly sold at an online government auction.
NASA’s attempt to retrieve the bag failed after a federal judge in December ruled it legally belonged to a Chicago-area woman who bought it two years ago.
The buyer in Tuesday’s auction declined to be identified. The pre-sale estimate was $2 million to $4 million.
Details of the 2015 purchase were made public during the court case.
Investigators seized the bag in 2003 after searching a garage of a man later convicted of stealing and selling museum artifacts, including some on loan from NASA.
The bag then went up for bid at a government auction in 2015, where Nancy Carlson, of Inverness, Illinois, paid $995 to acquire the ordinary-looking bag made of white Beta cloth and polyester, with rubberized nylon and a brass zipper.
Carlson, a collector, knew the bag had been used in a space flight, but she didn't know which one. She sent the bag to NASA for testing, but the government agency tried to keep it after identifying its contents.
The artifact “belongs to the American people,” NASA said then.
But U.S. District Judge J. Thomas Marten, in Wichita, Kansas, ruled in favor of Carlson, acknowledging that although the item shouldn’t have been sold at auction in the first place, he didn’t have the authority to reverse the sale. He ordered the government to return it to Carlson.
The judge said the importance and desirability of the bag stemmed solely from the efforts of NASA employees whose “amazing technical achievements, skill and courage in landing astronauts on the moon and returning them safely have not been replicated in the almost half a century since the Apollo 11 landing.”
When it comes to moon landings, this week’s auction was far from the final frontier.
A group called For All Moonkind Inc. mentioned the moon bag this week while campaigning for “measures to preserve and protect the six Apollo lunar landing sites.” It plans to take up the issue next month at the Starship Congress 2017 in California.
Also getting out-of-this-world interest at the auction was the Flown Apollo 13 Flight Plan, with handwritten notations by all three crew members. It sold to an online bidder for $275,000, well above its pre-sale estimate high of $40,000.
Hanes Men's Tagless Long-Sleeve Pocket T-Shirt:
- 100% cotton (heather fabrics are cotton/polyester blend)
- Reinforced stitching and shoulder-to-shoulder taping for added durability
- Lay flat collar
- All the comfort of Hanes with our famous tagless neckline
- Men's long-sleeve t-shirt features left-side chest pocket
- Sizes: S, M, L and XL
- Available colors: ash, black, deep forest, deep red, deep royal, light blue, light steel, maroon, navy, orange and white
- Mens Classic Long Sleeve T-Shirt with Pocket
- Double needle left chest 5-point pocket
- Rib Cuffs
- Seamless double needle collar
- Taped neck and shoulders for durability
- Tubular fit for minimal torque
New Fruit of the Loom Best Collection Men's Fleece Elastic Bottom Pant:
- Cotton polyester blend
- Elastic waistband and cuffs
- Fruit of the Loom Best collection
- Deeper pockets and wider waistband
Step and Distance Pedometer (1565electronics14113)
- Accurately counts steps to 99,999
- Accurately measures walking, hiking and running distance
- Records distance up to 1,000 miles/km with 1/100 mile/km accuracy
- Stride length adjustable in both inches and centimeters
- Single button stride set and single button for reset
- Large, easy-to-read display
- Walking pedometer has a spring-loaded belt clip
- Battery included
This beautiful bohemian watch makes a perfect gift! Featuring one of three different charms, this stunning piece comes in one of 8 different colors. Stand out from the crowd with this gorgeous accessory today!
- Color options:
- Style: Oval
- Model: TU9273-BKPB
- Frame: Black
- Lens color: Purple black
- Protection: UV400
- Nose pads: Contrasting
This fun handmade handbag is just the right complement to any outfit - day or night. The bright colors and fun design of this bag bring along a playful air, while the authentic wooden carrying handles and intricate bead and mirror work create a unique and fashion-forward appearanceThis fun handmade handbag is just the right complement to any outfit - day or night. The bright colors and fun design of this bag bring along a playful air, while the authentic wooden carrying handles and intricate bead and mirror work create a unique and fashion-forward appearance.
- Includes One Handmade Bag.
- Available Sizes: One size. It measures: 10 x 2 x 12 inches.
Depending on eye color and skin tone different things look good and bring out the eyes. The hazel eyes look good in many shades. But goldish is one of the best options. A mauve pink also can bring up your beautiful eyes, but it doesn’t flatter every skin color. Plum though does and it is one of your best bets, the same applies for violet and gray.
So here is an idea for you that incorporates a few of those flattering colors for the hazel eyes!
- Start out by applying a primer to the lid.
- Grab an eyeshadow that is a brownish color but with a plum hue in it. This is a warm hue and it will look good. Apply it with a brush to the inner corner of the eyes.
- Continue on by applying the same eye shadow to the outer corner of the eye. Reach the crease, but leave the center of the lid eyeshadow-free.
- In that middle that you left bare apply a gold eyeshadow. But it shouldn’t be something shimmering and over the top. Blend everything on the lid well with a clean brush.
- With a small brush close to the bottom lashline apply of the first brownish-plum color.
- Continue with some nudeish eyeshadow. With a fluffier brush apply it over the crease towards the eyebrow.
- Blend that in with the rest of the makeup.
- Finish of with a few coats of mascara on the upper and bottom lashes!
and lost & found notes to us.